Saturday, July 28, 2012

Project 52:THIRTY


Derek is Eric's FriendSpeak reader. Fei is his sweet, artistic, and amazing wife. Every Sunday afternoon, we head up to church, hope for a babysitter, converse with our readers, and study a small portion of the Bible. 

I was intimidated at first to do FriendSpeak: I don't know how to articulate my faith. I don't want to commit to something every week. What if they ask a question I don't know the "answer" to? 

1. Well, I don't know how to articulate what I believe. FriendSpeak helps me with that. I'm forced to read the Bible in small portions (all about the life of Jesus) and talk about what it says. It has been by far the best mode of "faith-sharing" I have ever been part of. We always say things in church like, "Be ready to share your faith," and "Oh, when someone asks about your faith, know what you're going to say." 

I don't know about you, but no one really comes up to me and asks me about my faith. 

I guess it happened once when I was a nanny in Switzerland. But honestly, I don't know what good it did, or even if I said what my friend needed to hear. 

Sure, I share my faith in my friendships and by example, but it just doesn't seem to be enough. FriendSpeak is an avenue to TALK about Jesus to people who really don't know him. Intimidating, yes. But such a growing experience.

2. I don't want to commit to something every week. Well, okay, it's a commitment. But it's more than just that - it's a relationship. I have learned so much from my two readers. Sure, it takes time. Eric and I just have this as part of our Sundays. It's not even a question. We can travel and take a week off here and there, but if we're in town on a Sunday afternoon, we're at FriendSpeak. If there's someone there who can take care of Garrett, that's ideal, but if not, we make it work. 

I have loved getting to know my readers through the years. We go to their apartments to have Hot Pot. We take them to Cheesecake Factory for their birthdays. We go to their daughter's ballet recitals. We're, well, friends. And if I ever go to China or Taiwan (which I didn't even consider before doing this), I have a place to stay!

3. What if they ask a question I don't know the "answer" to? Ha! This happens All. The. Time. Seriously, I call over our elder almost every Sunday and relay a question to him that my reader has asked that has just blown me away. It has been the best thing to help me grow in my faith. I can't read the Bible at FriendSpeak with the same old eyes. My readers bring me new eyes to see the life and teachings of Jesus, and it's just so refreshing!


But the most important thing about FriendSpeak is our new friends.


Derek and Fei invited us over to their apartment for Hot Pot, a traditional Chinese (and Japanese) family-style meal. We had such a great time, and Garrett did so well! He really liked the lamb and tofu I gave him (until the broth got too spicy...now we know how he reacts to spicy food...).

As expected, Garrett got SO EXCITED about their cat, Ninja. Poor cat was terrified of Garrett, though.


Derek has a camera-collecting hobby, and this was taken with one of their really cool Polaroids. Forgive the misspelling of Fei's name. Oops.

We had such a great time, and, as Eric said today, "This was the best meal we've had in a long time!" (Thanks, honey.) It was, though. And we were honored to share it with some wonderful friends.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

When I grow up, I want to be just like you, Laura. :)