I continue to hold the record for bringing the youngest person on the river with me in a kayak. The previous youngster was my cousin Addie. I took her in my kayak when she was 5 and I was 18 (I think she was 5...anyone remember?).
Well, I wanted to get Garrett an early start to love the river that I have loved for 31 years. I finally was able to get back in a kayak and go down the Medina River today after not being able to since before I was pregnant (plus, last summer there was no river...).
This morning was perfect. 65 degrees outside. Misty. A little chilly. Just four of us -- Dad, Eric, Chelsea, and me. We finished the run from Camp to Peaceful Valley Crossing in an hour and fifteen minutes. The water was up. The sun came out just as we were finishing.
Today was the day I introduced my son to my river.
I'll let the pictures help tell the story.
First, I had to convince my mom to hand my child over...
We splashed in the water a little.
Dad helped me put a (very old) lifejacket on him. We'll have to get him a little one for himself.
We carefully got ourselves situated.
Here we go!
We did it! Garrett kicked his legs a lot, which means he liked it!
Then, he played in the water some more. He loved splashing around!
And picking up (and eating) rocks that seemed to be too big for him to be able to pick up!
I got lots of "thank you" snuggles afterward. This was the best day!
To top it off, we rode with Great Grandpa back up the hill on the back of the truck.
I cannot wait to make more memories like this with my family. (Thanks, Eric, for being a great camera man for us today!)


2 comments:
wow, laura! garrett's smiles say it all! and yours, too! i think there should be a book about this adventure! maybe even a series of books! fun times for you all!
I don't blame your mom for not wanting to hand him over - what a brave mama you are! Glad your little man is developing his love of the river. :)
Post a Comment