Friday, February 10, 2012

Project 52: SIX


Having a baby around makes my days really busy (duh). Before I had G, I stocked up on freezer meals. I think I made 12 or so that first time. When people stopped bringing us food (such a blessing to have those meals, btw!), we still didn't have to do a major grocery store run because of those freezer meals. Now I want to make it a habit.

I learned some things along the way, like PLANNING is super-important! It took me way less time this go around to make my meals...and I made 15 in one day and 5 the week before! Eric wasn't even home to help with G. I also was able to vacuum. (Honestly, I felt like superwoman.) But I think it's because I geared up for the day and was super-motivated to get it all done. ...and I was organized.

All because I planned ahead.

A new tip I learned from The Virtuous Wife (via pinterest) is how to NOT buy foil baking pans. Just line your glass dish with foil, then plastic wrap. Assemble the meal, let cool, wrap with plastic wrap, wrap with foil. Freeze the meal in the glass dish. Once frozen, pop the meal out and zip it in a ziplock bag (or just wrap well with foil). Then, to thaw, just unwrap the casserole ice cube and thaw in the glass dish in the fridge until ready to bake.

So easy, right?

And cheap.

I made all of the meals from Round 1 again (yes, even the goulash...it was really yummy over rice, not noodles), and I made some extras, like my Grandma Ginia's Enchiladas and Lentil Soup. I also browned some ground beef and cooked and chopped some chicken to just grab and use in meals. Oh, and when I was cooking the chicken, I threw in my leftover carrots, celery, and onions to make chicken stock. I saved that, too. Now I don't have to buy chicken broth. Wow-zookie!

COST: Okay, so we kind of used all of our budget for groceries for the month of February doing this. Yikes. However, we won't have to buy anything major until March. We'll just go over a bit more to buy milk or what-have-you, but March we'll be under-budget. These meals will last us through March because of leftovers, DIY meals, and not eating in every single night (we have a separate, smaller budget for eating out/entertainment).

Anyway, you can do it, too! Really!

And to end with some pictures of the boy, here ya go:

That's the obligatory smile. So strange.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I've been meaning to try some freezer meals and will have to check out your recommendations. Also, G is getting so big! That little smile of his is rather mischievous... ;)

Anonymous said...

Surprised he still fits in the cradle. Good job on the meals! Dad

Mad Rappin EW said...

love the pictures of him in the cradle with Eljay and yet to be named bear!

- Eric

Mahina and Lucas said...

Wow, that is such a cool idea and seems like would save money AND time. And of course, your little man is adorable. Hehehe.

mindy said...

Thanks for your sweet comments:) I love your weekly posts about how you're being intentional! They're going to make such a neat book. Garrett is adorable! I love that he already knows how to smile for the camera:) I finally started going to story time at the library and even made a friend, so my advice is keep it up and be brave. I'm sure there's another mama there just hoping someone will talk to her:) I hope we can meet up one of these days. I bet our boys would have lots of fun playing together! Have a great weekend!