Tuesday, February 07, 2012

5 month update



STATS: 17 pounds (according to the bathroom scale and my math abilities...)

You wear 6-9 month clothes.


EATING:
  • You nurse 6x a day now! Yay! ...except for Tuesdays. You like to eat more on Tuesdays for some reason. I call it your "Growth Spurt Day" to stay sane.
  • We moved up to 2x a day for rice cereal, but you seemed to have trouble with it. So, we switched to oatmeal (which is what I really wanted to do in the first place...should have gone with the gut.).
  • The spit up is getting less and less (praise the Lord!), but you still do it...it's just not as bad as it was before.
 PLAYING:
  • Ohmygoodness, you can sit up unassisted now. I just can't believe it. You are so big!
  • You roll all over the place, and can usually get to whatever toy you're after. 
  • You play independently for 10-15 minutes about twice a day. The other times, you're either with me or daddy singing, playing, reading or you're in your exersaucer while I'm cooking, or you're in your high chair while we're eating. I'm trying to think of how I can give you what you need. You let me know if you're bored, for sure!
  • We are going to a class at the library for babies and parents. You get a little overwhelmed with all of the activity, and you end up doing all of your spitting up for the week during the class. I think it's all just a little too much stimulation for you, but we go anyway. Your good friend Jonah goes, too! Your mommy wants to meet other mommies in the neighborhood, but for some reason gets really nervous and shy. What is up with that?!
  • Oh, and I think you're on your way to crawling...my goodness.


SLEEPING:
  • Your "bedtime" is around 7pm, but I feed you once more around 9:30. Then, you sleep until about 6:30-7:00am! Success! This momma is LOVING getting more sleep. Keep it up, kid. (I realize that when he really starts teething, it'll throw a kink in things...) Note: This is ALMOST every day...not every day.
  • You take 3-4 naps a day, ranging from 45 minutes to 2 hours. We're trying to wean you from that last nap before bedtime. You have done SO WELL with sleeping (and I think that's why you're growing so much). 
  • Some of your naps, you play and then fall asleep, maybe with a little whimpering. Some of your naps, I either put you down too early or too late and you protest for about 10-20 minutes before falling asleep. You're getting the hang of it though, as I try to figure out what is the prime amount of waketime for you.


MILESTONES:
  • Sitting unassisted
  • Adding consonants to your "talking"
  • Maneuvering around the floor to get a toy you want (or a tag)
  • Getting your belly off the floor to crawling position (oh dear!)
  • Push-ups ("Down and give me 20!")
  • Starting rice cereal, and switching to oatmeal



Garrett Lincoln,

You have grown and changed so much this month. We are so proud of you. Feel free to take your time growing up, though. :) It's going by too fast. We love getting to know you better each day, and you bring such joy to our lives. Whenever you pee on Daddy, you grin at him and he's not mad anymore. (I think it's your way of getting to stay up later...it works.) We love you so much, sweet boy.

-Mommy & Daddy

Whew! What a month! 



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a sweet boy! I think those extra weeks in-utero did him good! Emily isn't up in crawling position quite yet and we're just beginning to master the sitting un-assisted. She still topples over pretty regularly. :)

Unknown said...

Maybe he's only on the verge of crawling, but he sure has that smiling thing down pat!! What a charmer!