Tuesday, October 09, 2012

13 month update

You weren't really performing much for your picture this month. I guess you're a little out of practice since we don't do this every week anymore...

There. That's better.

STATS: You're very tall and average in weight. You are giving Mommy awesome arm muscles! You wear 18 month clothing and seem to be staying there (hopefully...that's the warmest clothing we have!).

EATING: You eat three great meals a day with maybe one snack. I'm trying to get our dinner time and your dinner time lined up, but it's hard. Usually, I feed you veggies that you can pick up while I am finishing dinner. Then, I'll sit down with you while you eat and while we wait for Daddy to get home. You may play a little while Daddy changes out of his work clothes, and then you come back to the table sometimes with us while we eat. Sometimes, though, we're not even that organized, and we spend time with you and put you to bed before we even get to eat. Then our food is cold and we have to microwave it. Bleh. Obviously, we're working on this.

SLEEPING: You still take two naps (ideal!), but sometimes take one nap because of Mommy needing to get out of the house. When you take two naps, Mommy puts you down at 9am and at 1pm. For your 9am nap, sometimes it takes you awhile to go to sleep. Mommy always wakes you up at 10:30. For your 1pm nap, you still sometimes take awhile to go to sleep (sometimes not, depending on your level of activity). Mommy doesn't wake you up, though. I let you sleep until you wake up (usually around 3...this varies). Mommy is VERY thankful for your naps.

On days you take one nap, you go down after lunch (usually in the noon hour). You usually sleep very well (about 2 1/2 hours). Mommy hopes that once you are down to one nap consistently, you will extend your nap a little more.

At night, you go to bed around 7:30 and sleep until 7am. On days we have to put you to bed later, you don't sleep in...you always wake up at 7am.

Mommy was hoping you would continue this amazing sleep behavior when you traveled with Mommy and Daddy to Abilene this weekend. You didn't. You were having too much fun and never wanted to sleep. ...which stressed Mommy out. We need to work on this, little mister.

A fishy kiss face makes it all better, though. :) 

NEW THINGS: You give lots of hugs (to your stuffed animals) and kisses (to everyone...air kisses...you don't lean in yet). You charm the socks off of every cashier, nursery worker, and friend.
 You still love eating every little thing off the ground. I live for the day you can play outside without eating leaves, acorns, and bugs.

 You have taken some steps this month (very deliberately), but you still have no interest in this whole walking business.

This month, you have gotten very frustrated with your lack of communication abilities. You have started using more signs, though, which have helped so much. (You love your "Baby Signing Time" video and shriek when you get to watch it!) You sign "please," "more," "eat," and you point to what you want. You understand me when I ask you to do things, like, "Put the baseballs back in the bowl," and "Go get the train." I have to be very patient and not give up, but you usually do what I ask.

You haven't enjoyed getting your diaper changed this month. About half the time, you kick and flail around. I talked with some mentors about this, and they told me to lay down the law and regain control. So, the next time after you disobeyed my warning, I gave you a swat with a wooden spoon (when I use just my hand, you laugh at me...that's not going to work). It worked the first time and has gotten much better. You still like to exercise your will during this time, but you are obeying more and more.

Garrett, you are such a joy in our lives! You love people. You are such a sweet boy, but you are also a rough and tumble boy's boy. I love seeing your little personality develop, and I am so excited about what this next month might bring in your development.

For Mommy's reference, here's your schedule:
7am - wake, change diaper/clothes, read a Bible story, breakfast, independent playtime in the playpen for 30 minutes, play with Mommy afterwards.
9am - nap
10:30am - wake, change diaper, play
11:00ish - lunch, then maybe an errand
12:30-1:00 - nap (hopefully...I'm guessing this will become your only nap in the near future.)
2:30-3 - wake, change, snack, play, errands?
5ish - dinner, then play with Daddy
7:00 - bedtime routine (sometimes a bath, stories with Daddy, prayer, song, lights out)

1 comment:

The Brackeens said...

Are you kidding me?!?! I'd take G's naps either one or 2!!!! My kids never wanted to nap that much. Be excited!!!! ;) We are about to go through a 1 nap transition but we are in between and it's very tough!!! I have the same problem with diaper changes. Actually, I've had this same problem with both boys. They want to crawl away, not get a diaper change, and it's HARD work. Glad I'm not the only one. We eat dinner together. You know what time...? 5:30!!! Hahaha. That's not realistic for most families but I'm usually up before 6, eat lunch at 11, and home by 4, so it works for us. If I'm home late, the little boys eat without me. I know your pain. They can't wait. I think that was all...or was there something else? ;)