Friday, August 24, 2012

Project 52:THIRTY-FOUR

This is one of my favorite spaces in our home. I recently painted two walls teal, so things have changed a bit since this post. I'm certainly not finished with this space. I still really need curtains or something for this window. The afternoon sun comes through brutally, and when we're trying to Skype with family, poor Garrett has the sun in his eyes. I also would like to be more purposeful on the top of the buffet/cubby thing. But, what we do have is quite frugal:

  • The desk (which I absolutely love!) is handed down from my parents. 
  • The teal lamp is from Garden Ridge years ago. I purchased it for my classroom, used it for six years, and brought it home with me. It was in our bedroom when G was a newborn. Just turning on the light brings back so many memories of those early days!
  • The cute wreath is something my mom and Grandpa Ben made years ago.
  • The vase is from a garage sale. I picked it up for free because I bought some other things.

  • Finally, the print! It cost about $6! It's the 36x48 "architecture print" from Office Depot. I found out about this via pinterest which led me to this blog. Her print turned out a little better than mine, but that's okay. :) Here's how I did it (it's not the most professional thing, but that's okay!):

1. Take a flash drive to Office Depot and ask for the 36x48 Architecture Print. It should be $5.88 plus tax.
 2. Use some kind of adhesive spray to attach the paper to some kind of board. This is what I had on hand. I'd probably buy a permanent adhesive spray if I were just beginning. Don't use Mod Podge, apparently (says the other blogger), as it's too wet for the paper. I don't know. I think it may have worked. ??
 4. The other blogger used a foam board, but I had this huge canvas lying around that I had no idea what to use for. I may use it later and paint it or something.
 5. I wrapped the paper around the canvas like a present and secured it with packaging tape. I'm real high tech, lemmetellya.
 6. Hang it! I really need to get a level. The right side is lower than the left, no?


Here's how grainy it turned out. But, hey, for $6, it's not bad! I'm going to change it out every once in awhile. Cheap, fun, special. I love it!

7 comments:

karen said...

what a great living space, laura! i think that it is especially nice to be surrounded by things/those you love!

karen said...

what a nice living space, laura! i especially like that you are surrounded by things/those you love!

The Brackeens said...

Feel the love bc I got on Chad's computer (didn't even remember we had one of those, ha ha) to make a comment. First, I love your frugalness and that idea. I absolutely LOVE having pictures of our whole family all over our house. Makes me so happy and feel like I'm surrounded by them all the time. Second, that print is really, really big, and the reason it did not turn out was probably because there weren't enough pixels in the picture. Chad said for that size it needs about 3,000...at least I think he said pixels. 3,000 something. Ha ha. Anyway, a picture from just an ordinary camera is not that big. You may be able to adjust settings on your camera to do that, but I'm not sure. Definitely the pictures Chad has are big enough. So, all that to say, the lower quality of the picture probably has nothing to do with the $6 cost, and more to do with the quality of the image. Regular cameras just aren't made for pictures that large. Just a suggestion. Great job, though.

Kelli said...

Ooh, I LOVE your teal walls! And that is a fabulous idea, on the canvas. I'm totally stealing that one! :)

Steph said...

I've been wanting to do the engineer print so I'm happy to see it turned out so well! LOVE the color on the wall, jealous! :)

Jessica said...

Love the print. I too saw that pin, and want to give it a try. Seeing the up close on how grainy yours turned out actually gave me an idea though - I'm thinking that editing the picture before you have it printed to start off with an "aged" look might make it look more intentional with the graininess (is that a word???). You could call it "classic" and that would make it work, right? Love it!

Andrea Reynolds said...

Someone you know who is pretty awesome gave you that idea right?!?!?!

Just kidding with you, it looks great Laura!