Well, 6 months later (this past weekend), Eric turned 30, too! How was I to compete with the video?
I know that my husband's love language is quality time and words of affirmation. He usually wants to just spend good time with the people he loves. So, when plane tickets from Chicago to Dallas went on sale, we invited Eric's parents to come see their first grandchild.
They brought words of affirmation to Eric through his birthday card. They are always so thoughtful with the cards they write for birthdays and Christmas.
They were also very thoughtful with the gifts they brought Eric and Garrett. Eric has been wanting to read the Mark of the Lion series ever since I raved about it. So, they got him the series.
They also brought Eric's 6 month outfit so we can take pictures of Garrett in it at 6 months...or before if he grows like he has been!
And the icing on the cake was this great Cubs onesie that Garrett will have to sport next summer. Awesome!
That was such a wonderful way to start Eric's birthday week. But, I had to surprise him with SOMETHING big.
So, I invited his best friends from Harding to come visit. When I asked them, I was certain it would be a bad weekend or they wouldn't want to make the 6 hour drive out here (since most of them live in the Searcy area). Also, when the plans were made, I was thinking Garrett would be close to a month old instead of just two weeks! Yikes!
But Eric's good friend Jordan came to the rescue and offered to house most of them. Eric knew that my cousins (who we love) were coming to visit, so it was easy for me to talk about plans with our weekend guests. He just didn't know that I was referring to 8 people instead of just the two!
They snuck in our house Saturday morning while Eric was in the shower. We all surprised him and ate breakfast tacos before the guys left to play frisbee golf. All of the guys.
Including Garrett. (make sure you click on all the links!)
I hung out with the girls and was able to take several naps during the day.
That night was Eric's birthday party (not a surprise). Over 20 of Eric's closest friends here came over and played games. We got to break in our game room with fun games of ping pong and foosball, and others had fun playing Settlers of Catan and Telestrations (the board game version of a game Eric likes to introduce to people as "The Most Awesome Game").
Since several of our friends have had babies recently, we were able to use all of our gear - the crib, the cradle, the changing pad...
Eric was in total shock that his friends would drive all the way out here for his birthday. He said it was the best birthday ever.
I'm still recovering. :)
1 comment:
Laura, you continue to amaze me at all the things you are willing to attempt (and succeed at!) while Garrett is so new. I applaud you for continuing to do what you do best - making people feel special - even though your new responsibilities would be a perfect excuse to take a break! Can't wait to see your new little family in person in a few weeks. :)
Post a Comment