Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Memorially Yours...

This Memorial Day was amazing. I had such a great weekend with 5 of my 6 BFFs from college. Yes, we've gotten to see each other a lot this month! 

Dearing and Jenny hosted us in Austin this year, and they introduced us to Tamale House. YUM.MY. It's very much a hole in the wall (you have to kind of not look around at the mess), but the food is amazing. My mouth is watering right now for some potato, egg, and cheese breakfast tacos. Mmmmm...
 After gorging ourselves on Tamale House, we all drove down to Krause Springs. If you're in the Austin area or just need a great getaway, check it out. It is paradise.
 We got there early and grabbed a great spot by the river. It got hot really quickly, so we all took a dip in the spring-fed river and pond area. I had to be very careful walking on all of the slippery rocks, but it all worked out okay. 
 This was our amazing view from our spot. I mainly people-watched, as there was a rope swing and some cliffs you weren't-supposed-to-jump-off-but-people-did. We packed a great picnic of hummus, pita chips, berries, etc. Mmm... We left around 2pm when the heat got to be a bit too much for this momma-to-be.
 After naps and showers, we all went downtown to wait for our friend Angie (the birthday girl of the weekend) to arrive via train! Who knew you could take a train from Ft. Worth to Austin?! And it's only $24 one way...just make sure you have your return-trip ticket.
 Choo-choo!!!


 Sunday, we all went to church together (such a great service at Westover) and relaxed afterwards. Sunday afternoon, we went to a movie together at a place where you can eat and watch. Jenny and I split the yummiest fresh cookie milkshake. (I've realized that I've talked a lot about food this post...)
 Then, it was time to celebrate our dear Angie's birthday. Anne brought cupcakes from Sprinkles, and we had a yummy meal together.
 barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen? Let the jokes begin...

I was honored to try out a new recipe for my friends. Chicken Tetrazzini, I think? Whatever it was called, it had battered chicken, capers, lemon juice, and yumminess.
Everyone helped out with the meal. 


6 out of the 7... We miss you, Allie!!! (She was busy moving her family of five to a different state.) Wow, my belly looks huge here...and low... hmmm...

 After dinner and Angie's birthday celebration, we all came out to the back patio for some catch up time. I love these memories.
Jenny and Dearing stayed in Austin while the rest of us (Kristi, Jenny, Anne, and I) drove back to DFW. The trip went by so fast because we were all together. 

Memorial Day weekend would not be complete without an outdoor concert, watermelon, and fireworks with my good friend Katie. 

...and my dear friends in DFW, Liz and Kami.

Notice that Eric wasn't able to have any fun with us. That's because he was having his own fun in Chicago with his family. He treated his family to a fun musical downtown for his mom's birthday (so many birthdays!), and got to do some really fun things with his friends. He will have nothing to do with a camera, so there's no post on that. We both had such good weekends, but we were both glad to be back together in our new home once all was said and done. 

Memorially yours...

No comments: