Friday, June 08, 2012
Project 52: TWENTY-THREE
This is our garden. From left to right, we've got: gerbera daisies (they were pretty for awhile), arugula, jalapenos, poblano peppers, green peppers, red peppers, and basil. These guys are doing okay.
Here we have a zucchini plant that has yielded several zucchini already! It's not looking too good now, though.
Here are our sad tomato plants (in the red plastic pots) and our dying zucchini plant (hidden in the middle brown pot). I think we didn't give them very good drainage, and we overwatered them in the midst of lots of heat waves.
Poor zucchini. You gave us two or three babies before you choked.
Yikes.
Even though our tomato plants look terrible, they are producing tomatoes...that happen to split because of the overwatering and extreme heat.
Luckily, the jalapenos look okay!
Any tips?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Ugh, I am not a good one to give tips...but my only suggestion...grow tomatoes in the winter. It is too hot here even in late spring early summer to produce anything. For me anyway :)
I'm a serial plant killer, remember? But I am soooo jealous of the life on those plants! I'm inspired to try growing my own veggies even though complete fear grips me. :) That jalapeno shot is gorgeous.
I'm a serial plant killer, remember? But I am soooo jealous of the life on those plants! I'm inspired to try growing my own veggies even though complete fear grips me. :) That jalapeno shot is gorgeous.
The climate out here in Cali is more mild than Texas, but it does still get hot here during the summers. It's just not as dry/scorching for a long of a period of time. So I'll try, but I don't know how helpful my tips will be. :(
First off, I seem to only have luck with certain plants in containers. Tomatoes, zucchinis, and peppers do much better for me if they're in-ground. It's really hard to keep the containers well-watered during the hot summer months. Do you have any bit of yard that you could dig up for next year to make a small garden? Or if not, you might want to invest in a large raised bed planter box, like the one you have for your plants that are doing
well.
I've recently pinned a bunch of gardening tips on pinterest if you want to take a look. :) There's one pin about using empty wine bottles upside down with water in the containers to help them them watered - I wonder if that might work for you. Also, is there a place you can move your tomato plants to in your yard that will give it some shade for the late afternoon heat? As long as it still gets lots of the morning/early-afternoon not-so-hot sun, then it should be ok without scorching it.
For next year, if you want to stick to containers for the tomatoes, just drill a couple more holes in the bottom of the pot before planting. Also, when choosing you tomato variety, be SURE to find one that's good in high heat climates.
For the zucchini that's living still, you may want to try pruning it some. Since you have it in a smaller space, it can't really grow super big, though it wants to. I've found that zucchini plant will just grow forever huge if you let them! So maybe prune it back some so that it's energy goes into producing more fruits rather than producing more leaves.
heh heh, I sound like a gardening expert or something! But really, I've just been discovering all these things due to trial and error in my own garden over the past couple years.
Post a Comment