Friday, January 13, 2012

Project 52: TWO

I found that as I began nursing Garrett, it took so long! Plus, I had to supplement at the beginning for about a month, so I was stuck in my room, away from my family who had come to visit, completely bored. So, I whipped out the computer and watched hulu or got on facebook or google reader to pass the time. Well, that habit turned into a bad habit after family left. When I was nursing G, I would still distract myself instead of enjoy that precious time.

So, since we came home from Christmas, I have been nursing G upstairs in his room. No distractions. It has been so wonderful, too. I usually read to him after he's finished. I feel like a better mom.

Anyway, I couldn't put "Being intentional means nursing upstairs" because when this is turned into a photo book, that would be awkward. But you all know what this one really means.

3 comments:

Mahina and Lucas said...

I have been also trying to cut out the laptop and iphone time when I'm feeding and putting our little girl down. That small change has made me feel SO much better about our time together. My Project 52 post was about our "sleepless nights" with our daughter who is teething at www.lucasandmahina.com. Linked you to my Project 52 blog! Hope you can link me too.

The Brackeens said...

I LOVE this, Laura. I was reading a parenting book (I think it was Bringing up Boys by Dobson, but I'm not sure). Anyway...it was saying that there is always something that our children have to compete with for our attention...job, hobbies, etc...and it was saying that the major thing now is technology. Honestly, I had never thought about it before. Reading that has made me more intentional, too. I still don't do a great job at it, but I don't want the boys to have to compete with my phone for attention. Now instead of searching facebook when I'm giving H a bath, I'll turn on the music and talk and play with him. It's so important. Thanks for sharing. And I could definitely use a little more enjoying quiet nursing time instead of surfing the web. :( Oh...and also, pretty soon, you won't feel like you have to nurse upstairs alone. When I first had H and my family was around I would leave, too. It was sad bc it made me feel so left out and took SO MUCH TIME (like you said). They told me they were fine with it if I was (with a cover, of course), and it's better. Heck, at this Christmas all 3 of us were nursing so there were just boobs everywhere :) (covered). I'm SO glad to read you don't have to supplement anymore. Not that it's the end of the world (I had to with H), but that's awesome. I was curious but didn't want to ask in case it was a sad subject for you. Love!

kristen said...

I love this!! This being intentional is so neat!! i need to do this in my life! thanks for being an inspiration!!