Tuesday, January 17, 2012

(Brown) Rice Cereal

So, G's doctor gave us the go ahead to start rice cereal.

I really didn't want to.
I wanted to wait awhile because everything I read says to wait until 6 months.
But the doc said it might help his reflux.

Good grief, this boy spits up a lot.
But he doesn't complain about it, and he is still growing.
But it's gross.

Also, I didn't really want to start with rice.
I wanted to start with avocado or oatmeal or something else.
I kept going back and forth with everything, and I finally decided to start him on...
brown rice.
That's kind of a compromise, right?

Well, here's his first experience.
He seems to like it, I think.
And, yes, I said, "I don't know if I'm doing this right."
That should be my motto for mommyhood.
I'm still guessing at all of it.
Thankfully, I don't seem to have ruined him quite yet.

As far as the reflux goes, it hasn't improved,
but we've only been feeding him rice cereal for three days.
(And now, I've figured out a way to not get it all over my hand!)

So far, I don't see any signs of an allergy, which is why I decided to stick with rice.
The doc said there is a very low allergy rate with rice.

So, there we go.
Wish us luck.

5 comments:

Mary Kay said...

Laura-
He is so cute! Just can't get over how much he looks like Jonathan!!! Reflux is not fun. Emma (Ashley's little girl) had it horrible. Ashley finally had someone tell her to go off all milk products and see if that helped...and it totally did! You may have already heard this or tried it but just thought I would pass it on. I am sure Ashley could give you more details but for Emma it worked!!! Momma and baby were both much happier!

Jessica said...

I promise it gets better - the eating, not the guessing part. :) Max needs to come see his cousin soon!

The Brackeens said...

That's so funny. I also wanted to wait until 6 months, but he's 5 months now (tomorrow) and we just started yesterday. We were actually trying to figure out why he suddenly stopped sleeping well. I didn't realize G was a spitter. Oh my!!!! I have never seen a kid spit as much as B does. It's ridiculous. It makes me not want to hold him. I mean, I do, but I don't. I just know I will change my clothes several times a day (and his). Yeah, I use a burp rag, but he has projectile spit up and most times it also goes on me and the floor. :( Never ending laundry!!! Some of our church friends were over on Sunday and they have a baby the same age and she was moving him all over and didn't even have a burp rag anywhere around and he didn't spit a drop. :( I wouldn't give B away for anything, but yes, I was a little jealous. Gross is right!!! I hope the rice does help...both of us. :)

Mandy said...

Carter's reflux didn't start getting better until just now. The dr said its a combination of sitting up more, eating lots of baby food (I saw no change with cereal, just gross spit up!), and him just growing out of it which most babies do from 6-9 months. We went from spitting up 10 times a day to only once or twice! Just give it time (which is easier said than done when you're covered in spit up!)
Mandy

Mrs. Edwards said...

See? Michael was just getting you ready for your own projectile spitter :)
I miss our Wednesday mornings!