Well, I thought I'd give an update so far on what has worked and what we won't repeat.
Coq Au Vin - recipe here
This was a great marinade for chicken. It's not as convenient as the other freeze ahead meals that you just dump in the crockpot, but it sure was tasty. We will probably make this again, but we'll be prepared with easy side dishes that we can whip up right before this comes out of the oven, like steamed broccoli and maybe crescent rolls...along with the rice.
Chicken Curry - recipe here (makes 2 bags)
The Chicken Curry was really tasty! Next time, I think I'll add salt, and maybe take out some of the carrots. The sweet potato and the zucchini in this dish was so yummy, and the chicken thighs had an excellent flavor.
It reheated well, too.
We'll make this one again.
Goulash - recipe here (also makes 2 bags)
The Goulash was okay. It kind of turned out to be a beef stew. We served this over noodles, but I think rice might be better. This one has pineapple in it, which was really good. I'm not sure if we'll re-do this one. It was just mediocre. I didn't like the leftovers.
We probably won't make this one again.
BBQ Chicken - recipe here (also makes 2 bags)
Yum! This was another tasty one that reheats well, too. There were WAY too many potatoes in it, though. So, I think next time, we'll add more veggies like zucchini and take out some of the potatoes. The sauce was good, but it could use a little salt. Eric liked it as is, though.
We will make this one again.
Baked Pesto Ravioli w/ Chicken - recipe here (makes 3-4 dishes!)
This meal is probably my FAVORITE frozen meal. It is so tasty, seriously, and it bakes well and reheats well as leftovers, too.
We will make this one again, for sure.
Arroz Con Pollo - recipe here
This recipe was really tasty. It cooked well, and the leftovers were really good.
We will make this one again!
We will make this one again!
My Grandma Ginia's Enchiladas
This is one of my favorite family meals. It froze well and baked well.
I will definitely make this one again to freeze ahead.
I would say overall that this was a very successful freeze-ahead experiment. It sure did help as we adjusted to being a family of three. In January, I'm going to have another cooking day. Maybe I'll invite some of my SAHM friends to join me, and we can do a meal swap or something. That's when we're all responsible for making 6 or so of the same thing, and then we mix and match with each other.
Who wants to join me?
I would say overall that this was a very successful freeze-ahead experiment. It sure did help as we adjusted to being a family of three. In January, I'm going to have another cooking day. Maybe I'll invite some of my SAHM friends to join me, and we can do a meal swap or something. That's when we're all responsible for making 6 or so of the same thing, and then we mix and match with each other.
Who wants to join me?
2 comments:
Oh I like this idea!
Thanks for the feedback. I now have all these recipes. Freezing meals once a month is my New Year's resolution! Anytime you want to share awesome freeze-ahead meals with me, please do :)
Post a Comment