Thursday, May 05, 2011

The Name

We have decided on a name! Before you get to see it, though, you have to read the background story about it.
 
We first agreed on a middle name. We both admire our 16th president, Abraham Lincoln. We've been toying with various forms of his name. We like "Abraham." We like "Lincoln." One of my best friends is named "Anne Lincoln" as her first name (yeah, she's just as cool as her name! Love it!). So, we decided to go with LINCOLN as the middle name. We especially admire how Lincoln strove to unify our country during a time of great hardship and division.
 
Speaking of unity, it's actually what drew Eric and I together in the Singles' group at our church. We both saw each other reaching out to new people and trying to make everyone feel welcome. We hope and pray that our son can have a heart of unity as well.
 
...which brings us to the first name.
 
Our son will be named after another man we admire for how he strives for unity. Only this time, he strives for unity in our fellowship (churches of Christ). He has written and preached much about how hurtful some of the divisions of our church are and what issues we should be focusing on. He has a website: www.leroygarrett.org. Click on the "Soldier On" essays and peruse. They are so interesting! He also wrote a book called "A Lover's Quarrell: My Pilgrimmage of Freedom in Churches of Christ." Here's an ACU Optimist article about it. Check it out.
 
So, our son's first name is.... LEROY!
 
...just kidding. That would be awful. Can you imagine? Leroy Lincoln Daulton? No way, Jose. Hmm...Jose?
 
It's actually GARRETT. Garrett Lincoln Daulton. What a big name. He's got a lot to live up to.
 

11 comments:

Renae said...

Such a great story behind such a sweet name! Lincoln was on my list if Alaina was a boy and I've always loved Garrett but we already had a Garrett Cates in the family. Enjoy these last few months before he's here! It's the greatest being a mom!!
~ Renae

Jennifer said...

I love the name, and I especially love the meaning behind it!

Unknown said...

It's a wonderful name! And you can name your second son Leroy Jose..., and when the daughter comes, I hope you'll have enough energy to spend time on just the right name for her!!

mindy said...

perfect!!!

The Brackeens said...

I love his name! Hudson's middle name is Garrett. Not for the same reason, though. :) I know someone due in October who will also name her baby Garrett, if it is a boy. They don't know yet. You know her, but the news isn't out yet. :) Ha. And I love last names as first names, as you can tell. We haven't found another one, so we may not do it again, but I think they are so manly!

Mindi Tipps said...

Love, LOVE it!

Unknown said...

Love love LOVE the name!! And I agree with Vic that Leroy Jose :) will be a strong second son's name!! :) The story is wonderful and I thing you two are just absolutely wonderful. PS -- Thanks for having babies so my mom can play g-ma for a while while they are still waiting on me and Brian to catch up!! LOVE YOU!!!

Melanie L said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. :) I love names with special meaning.

Jessica H said...

Love it! Congrats on on a healthy baby boy!

Tara said...

Love the name. Can't wait to meet sweet Garrett!! :)

Allison said...

That is pretty much the most dynamic name I have ever heard!!! It's cute. It's sophisticated.It's perfect!