Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The House in Progress

Ahh, popcorn texture. 
How I hate thee. 
You capture all of the dust 
and make my husband sneeze.

Okay, seriously, how many of your realtors come to your new house and show you how to scrape popcorn ceilings? (and then mow your lawn the next day for you? ....after waking up early to go to a Royal Wedding watching party?) Seriously, folks, if you need a realtor in the DFW area, I've got one for ya! Meet Gloria White:

She showed us the ropes and then it was my turn! I know I probably shouldn't have had this job, but it was a lot like peeling a sunburn...and I couldn't resist.
 Apparently, this is the only picture face I have... Do you see all the work I did laying the plastic in this room? ...only to discover that this popcorn had been painted over and was not scrape-able. (We were slightly relieved, actually, to not have to worry about this huge room!)
 Eric did a lot of work making sure he sprayed the ceilings well enough for the popcorn to just come off in sheets. We got one of those garden sprayers at Lowe's that you have to pump and it comes out in a continuous spray. That's hard work, my friends.
 Try not to look too closely at this picture. I was sweaty, make-up-less, and exhausted (don't let the picture face fool you).
 ...but it was all worth it to sit on the bench in my front garden and look out. Isn't this beautiful?
My dear friend Pape brought us lunch and Sonic drinks. Perfect!
 Eric played with her girls in the back yard. Elisa was a big help pulling the weeds! Put that girl to work!
 Here's what the kitchen looked like for most of the past two weeks. That's my handiwork, thankyouverymuch.
 Here's our master bedroom sans popcorn:
 Eric took last Friday off to prime the ceilings with our good friend, Josue. They worked so hard all day!
 Josue really enjoyed it...can't you tell? Mom and Dad drove in from Kerrville that night, and we all went out for Luna de Noche for dinner. Mmmmm...
 The rest of the weekend was spent priming and painting all of the scraped ceilings. Dad and Eric did most of the work, but I was so blessed to have my friends Amy, Kami, and Rachel stop by for a few hours in the morning to help. Mom and I helped, too, but we had to leave for my first baby shower at 2:00. We came back and finished up. After a long day, here's what some of it looks like:
 Above is the master bedroom. Below is part of the living room that we were able to scrape (there's no way we were scraping the super-tall ceilings). I like how it turned out!
This weekend, we're moving in! That means that this week, we're packing. I am so ready for all of this to slow down. I guess that won't happen until school is out (because I have to pack up my classroom, too). The summer will be a wonderful and much needed break before Garrett makes his grand entrance. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this place looks awesome!!! so glad ya'll found a nice place! can't wait to come see it!
-Jono