Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mariama Idriss

Dear Laura,

It is I, your friend Mariama, writing to you this letter, and I can guess you are surprised to receive it, as I admit, I do write often but I am being compelled to write to yo ufor help. I am appealing to you to perform my parents' responsibility to allow me to continue my education. Since they are illiterates, my father still harbours the erroneous and primitive feelings and thoughts about girls' education. As for my mother, she tries but not enough. Laura, I want to continue my education at the senior high school and then further it to the tertiary institution. In fact, I have determined to acquire the highest form of education for the following reason:

In the future, I would like to play an important role in the political and socio-economic life of our country. I am desirous of influencing the decision-making process of this country for the better. In addition, I want to get a better secured job. This can be made possible, if and only if I have higher education and the right professional qualifications. Moreover, I want to champion the cause of the downtrodden and the vulnerable in the society, especially children and women. I am determined to wage an unremitting war against the dehumanizing conditions and injustices the poor suffer in our society. Also I wish to ensure that educational opportunities enjoyed by boys are also enjoyed by girls.

Finally, I want to be in a position which would enable me to help members of my family and other people in every possible way to the best of my ability. Please you will agree with me that higher education is the only tool I can use to achieve these lofty aims.

Laura, I earnestly appeal to you to try and sponsor my higher education. I wish to assure you that I will never let you down and more importantly, I will reciprocate your generosity when the time comes.

I hope you and your family are as fit as a fiddle and it is my fervent prayer that your business will flourish. May God richly bless you.

Yours sincerely,
Mariama Idriss

1 comment:

Ruth Schackmann said...

Mariama is a well-spoken young lady.
Thanks for sharing, Laura.