Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Maa Margaret honoring Maa Vic

This is Maa Margaret.
She is the house mom for the Prestoncrest Boys House.

Here are the outfits she made for our entire team in ONE night!


Whenever there is a funeral in Ghana (and other parts of Africa, actually), all of the villagers (especially family members) have clothing made from the same material. If you drive through African villages and happen upon a funeral, everyone looks alike in their clothing. It's a way to be unified and come together to celebrate the person who has passed away.

One of the house parents, Maa Victoria, passed away several months ago from liver cancer. Eric and I met her and her sweet husband Emmanuel Effah last year, and they both captured our hearts. Eric helped with setting up the computer at their home last year, and Mr. Effah made him a shirt:
Anyway, this blue Village of Hope material was what was worn by the entire community of the Village of Hope. All of the children have an outfit made of this material. Everyone wore it at Maa Vic's funeral. It unified them.
Now, this material unifies and bonds us to the community of the Village of Hope. Maa Margaret said, "I want you all to wear this on Sunday to worship the Lord in it."

I talked with several children from Maa Victoria's house, Chisholm House, who now have yet another set of parents. The new parents are doing an amazing job, and my heart goes out to that home. I told the children that I talked with that when I wore my skirt on Sunday, I would be thinking of and praying for them.

1 comment:

The Brackeens said...

Wow! What a trip. That was such a sweet story about the Sarahs. Welcome back. Do you even remember where you live after all the recent travels? ;)