Friday, June 16, 2006

Rough Day?

Okay, so I'm teaching summer school this summer for my district. I'm teaching the same grade and subject that I did during the school year, so I even have some of my former students! However, there's a huge difference... Instead of having 110 students for only 45 minutes (because they switch classes in middle school), I have 14 students for FOUR HOURS!

This initially freaked me out because I was just positive I wouldn't have enough to occupy them for that amount of time. I was thinking back to my ACU days when I would decide to take those 3 hour night classes during the week. ugh! They were so boring, except for my very first one -- a history class taught by the Abilene ISD Superintendent at the time, Dr. Charles Hundley. He was an amazing teacher -- he would talk the entire time, but we would never get bored. He would incorporate poetry, random facts, and political cartoons into his lesson. We'd get one break, which was only necessary because our legs would fall asleep from sitting in those horrible desk/chairs. He was amazing.

Back to the original story -- I was nervous that my students would be so bored. It's summer; they'd rather be elsewhere. However, based on the first two weeks, I have had such an amazing experience with these 6th graders. By having them for 4 hours, I have been able to establish a better relationship with them. My comments are more meaningful. We do ice-breaker games every day (unless they complain about them -- then they lose that privilege) just to get them moving around. I try to sneak in learning activities to our ice breaker time...

Before I met my class for the summer, I scanned over their names. SEVERAL, I noticed, had been known as troublemakers -- they had been in our on-campus suspension program for the majority of the spring semester. It turns out that these kids have actually been the best in my class! Our curriculum is to teach kids how to be a part of book clubs. We call them Literacy Circles. The troublemakers are typically the kids with the outspoken opinions, which have gotten them into trouble in their 45 minute classes. They are necessary in my 4 hour one.

Today was a rough day, though... A kid threw a desk out of frustration, another talked back to me several times and smacked his mouth, etc. In the normal school year, these things would completely ruin my day. However, something has changed in how I view my students. Instead of being frustrated or upset with them, I found myself almost feeling sorry for them. I pulled each student who has had a rough time today out in the hall and basically talked to them about how much I care for them and want them to succeed. We came up with solutions on how to be positive through the rough times. I don't know that I've had that kind of bond with my students before in the normal school year.

I'm learning so much. I'm still such a new teacher and I mess up all the time. All the time. And, as much as I would have enjoyed a summer break of two months, I would not trade this experience. Hopefully, I can take what I'm learning with me to school next year, when I go back to those 45 minute class periods and easily frustrated children.

2 comments:

Matt Worthington said...

Man, Laura Jo, I'm really glad you're getting this opportunity. I remember how you would talk about how you really wanted to do this for a career, and now reading your experiences with all of this gives me a lot of joy. I really like to see, read, or hear about my friends being apart of the "bigger thing" that they've always wanted to be apart of. I'm glad too that your heart breaks for these kids instead of being angry at them, because God knows that someone's heart needs to break for them. I hope God continues to bless you in your classroom.

Concerning your question to me about Second World. I had never really researched the second world until you asked me, and the truth be told I've only read some encyclopedia stuff and wikipedia so don't call me an expert. In fact, you might know as much, or possibly more than me, about 2nd world poverty. Basically second world refers to the countries influenced under Soviet Domination, the countries who were apart of the Warsaw Pact. First World describes those allied with NATO during the Post WWII era.

Broken down though, First World is people with Marketing Economies, Second World is people who have planned economies, and third world are countries that have something that resembles more of a feudalistic society than anything else. Then there's the Fourth World, which is really what I was describing, though I don't think the imagery would have connected in people's minds so well (which is why I titled and referred to things as the "Third World"). Anyways, The Fourth World is referred to as the poorest countries within the Third World, and it also refers to the poorer communities that exist within the First World. I hope this has been an answer that is somewhat sufficient. If you'd like to know more, I can give you a list of articles to read if you would really like to know more. Just let me know eh.

Ashley said...

Good point and good perspective. Your kids are blessed to be taught by you.