Thursday, June 29, 2006

English as a Second Language...

Over 80% of my students are of Latino descent. Their primary language is Spanish. Plus, they live in the city.

Since my kids live in the city, when they play outside, they usually are playing a sport. As for me, I grew up playing in the bamboo forest in my back yard and exploring my grandparents' riverhouse with my twin cousins and sister. One of the hardest things for me living in a city is the fact that nature is not easily accessible. Little did I know that this would be a vocabulary lesson with my students...

One of my fun filler assignments had the students work through a maze that had several words in it. They were supposed to find their way around the maze without passing by words having to do with nature. They had no idea what "nature" meant... I told them that it had to do with everything "outside." They said, "Oh, like 'grass' and 'trees' and 'ball'..."

Rewind. "Ball? Let me clarify," I told them, "Nature has to do with things outside that weren't made by people." Again, confused looks.

Finally, one of my students piped in and said, "Oh, things outside that you can't bring back inside?" 6th grade.

"Yes, I guess so," I replied. As the lights went on inside each of their brains, I continued roaming around the room. What have I gotten myself into by moving to Dallas?

1 comment:

Katie said...

hey i'm sad to miss you while i'm in dallas! glad to hear you had a great trip to new orleans as well. i just wrote about it so check it out.