Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Remembering Grandma Ginia



My precious grandmother won her race last Wednesday. This past weekend, Eric and I traveled with Clay and Jessica (and baby Max) to the San Antonio area to be with our family. EVERYONE managed to be there except one grandson-in-law who is a Marine. (We missed you, Jeremy!)

I love that this weekend was spent remembering Grandma Ginia from before. Before she had Alzheimer's. Before she stopped communicating. Before she couldn't remember us. She had Alzheimer's for eight years (I think...), so for most of my adult life, that's how I knew her. I had to reach into my childhood and college memories, mainly of her and the Riverhouse.

Grandma Ginia was adventurous, and she passed that on to her grandkids. She sent Mark, Clay, Jenny, and I out on scavenger hunts around Camp Bandina, where we would make up stories about the Native Americans who once inhabited that area... who knew they had beer bottles and slab foundations? :) She also took her family to as many of the 50 states as possible. I so want to do this, too!

Grandma Ginia was hospitable, as anyone was welcome to the Riverhouse or to Thanksgiving. This legacy is one that I want to live out in my life to honor hers. My dad, aunt, and uncles talked about how you never knew who would be coming over for Sunday lunch. This is a tradition Eric and I have started in our apartment and now our home, that we hope to continue.

Grandma Ginia was thoughtful. As I look at my jewelry armoire and dig out her letter to me on my 13th birthday, I remember how special of a time that was for me. Another way she was thoughtful was that in college, she would bring Jenny and me Combos. Remember those cylindrical cheddar or pizza flavored goodies? We didn't really care for them much, but they were always at the Riverhouse in one of Grandma's glass jars, and we would munch on them constantly...that and orange slices candy. Anyway, she would bring us bags and bags of Combos that lasted us through our final days in college. So funny.

Adventurous, hospitable, and thoughtful, Grandma Ginia knew WHOSE she was and lived her life that way.

I love you, Grandma Ginia. I know I said good bye a long time ago. I can't wait to chat with you about how you perceived these past 8 years. Oh, the stories you must have!

Here's the video from the celebration service:

1 comment:

mindy said...

What a sweet tribute!! I know she's smiling down on her dear family:)