Thursday, November 04, 2010

VIP

Okay, let me put a disclaimer on this whole post. I'm very humbled about all of this, and I know my family wants to hear all the details and see pictures. That's the only reason I am posting it. I don't want this to look like boasting or bragging at all. I am very blessed to be at a wonderful school that puts up with me using my God-given craziness. :)

This year, my fellow teachers voted me the VIP (our version of "Teacher of the Year")! Tonight was the recognition at the board meeting with all the big wigs. Eric and I got to eat a really yummy meal with the School Board members and the other VIPs from four other schools. Then, we went to the board meeting.
My principal, Mr. Ford, wrote out a speech about me that he presented at the meeting. Toward the end of his speech, he said, "I think this is the best way to honor Laura Daulton." And then, he recited a rhyme he had written:
This club, that club, and yes the spelling Bee.
Laura handles every task quite efficiently.
Just walk by Laura's classroom and you can surely see
That rhymes and raps are commonplace so students can achieve.
She dances, sings, and writes to name a few,
Uses Stellar, Marzano, and Thinking Maps, too.
Laura is amazing as I am sure you can tell.
I almost forgot, she coordinates UIL.
Earlier today, he sent out an email to our whole faculty and staff asking for some thoughts that describe me as a teacher. He printed off the list and gave it to me. I was beyond touched by some of the things that were said and some of my co-workers who took time out of their busy day to write a note.

These two lovely ladies actually came to the School Board meeting to show their support, too! I was really honored by their gesture and sacrifice of their time.
(Thanks for the super-cute outfit, Grandma Jo!!)

Mom and Dad sent me the most GORGEOUS flowers up to school this week, too. They were sad they couldn't be here for all of it. Is a 6-hour drive too much to ask on a school night? (I jest, I jest.)
Thank you to everyone who made this whole experience so special. My six years at Field Middle School have been so amazing. I couldn't ask for a better fit for me.

Happy Maraca Friday tomorrow everyone! Watch out in upstairs G hall!!

15 comments:

Katie said...

congrats! you are awesome! i wish you had been my teacher :)

Jessica said...

And no one was surprised. ;) OF COURSE you're going to get this honor, Laura - you make me want to go back to middle school!

Anonymous said...

You have always had a spark that is so contagious. To teach middle school with all the enthusiam that you have is a special blessing to those students. It is so needed at that age. May God continue to bless you richly. Luv u.

Ruth Briley said...

Congratulations!! Saw this link on your Mom's facebook post.... What a great honor for a very special lady!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are a awesome teacher! We are very lucky to have you upstairs in G-Hall.

BTW...cute outfit.

Lauren Satterlee

Anonymous said...

So fun to hear about your special night when you called this morning and then to see the pictures. See you tomorrow in Houston.

Love you,

Dad

The Screenwriter's Wife said...

Congrats - that is such a great honor!

mindy said...

Congrats!!!!! Such a well-deserving honor for a fabulous teacher!! Thanks for all you do to positively influence young lives and make learning fun!!

Daniel Ford said...

Laura,
I could not be more proud to have a teacher like you on our staff. You are amazing as a result of the talents that God has blessed you with. I know your heart is filled with the love of Jesus Christ and that love will continue to shine as you continue to fulfill God's calling on your life.

Dan

Debbie Fromm said...

Any time you need someone to fill in as a parent let us know. We are so very proud of you.
Love,
Aunt Debbie & Uncle Dick

Pam Goodenough said...

I'm so proud of you, Laura!! You are such a blessing to your family and your school!

Unknown said...

That's so awesome and congratulations! (And it was a little exciting for me to see my dad in the background of your pics!) Great work, Laura!

Laura said...

I'm so glad you were recognized! You are such a fun teacher, I know the kids love you so much! You are also a pleasure to work with, thanks for being a light at our school~

Melissa Jackson said...

Congratulations Laura! Your students are lucky to have such a wonderful, fun teacher!

Melissa said...

im sure you totally deserved every bit of the recognition! congrats!!!