Saturday, November 13, 2010

Solitude

This week, my morning devotionals were about solitude. If you know me at all, you know this is difficult for me. Solitude is something that I don't give myself much of. I'm an extrovert, and I use that as an excuse not to have solitude.

I think God uses illness in my life to make me have solitude! I am on round two of my seasonal every-month sinus infections. I had a million things scheduled for this weekend, and I said "no" to most of them so I can work on getting well.

Friday night, Eric went to the Mavs game with his buddy Jordan. I began my weekend of solitude. I watched a little TV, prayed a lot, and did four loads of laundry in silence. It was kind of nice.

Today, Eric and I were supposed to go to Boles Children's Home for a weekend work project. Eric went with the others from our church class, and I stayed home.

I slept in until 11! This is extremely rare for me, so I must have needed it. I spent the day cleaning. I had Supernanny, School Pride, and other shows that don't require my full attention on in the background. I did my fall clothing switcheroo, dusted (even the fan blades!), vacuumed, and organized our pile of bills and such. I've really been needing a day like this.

I enjoyed being alone today. I enjoyed being productive. I enjoyed (shocker) not being around people. I need another day like this. Maybe I should schedule it in to my calendar.

This was a great ending to a week focused on Solitude. I even took a little vow of solitude when driving this week. I made sure I didn't turn on the radio at all, and I tried to limit my phone conversations. It's amazing how peaceful and calm I was all week because of it. I really think I need to do this more...spend time in solitude more...listen for God more...

Bring on the crazy holiday season - I'm ready!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

solitude is so needed, scoopy. I'm glad you were "forced" into lockdown for the weekend. I love you!
jenny

The Brackeens said...

You are SO right. And with solitude, comes SILENCE. Sometimes my days are so LOUD. I'm sure yours are worse, being a teacher, but the OR can be loud! It burns you out. I am not good about solitude, either. Too many things to do all the time...and then thinking about all the other things you need to be doing. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are feeling better!