Thursday, July 01, 2010

Chi-town!

We always enjoy seeing family and extended family. This year, Ryan is living back at home to look for work in Chicago, so the entire family was together for the week. So, Ryan, Lois, and Stan searched endlessly for jobs, Eric worked, and I ... well, what did I do? I actually got to RELAX! I brought my paints and was able to finish one project and start another. I read a book -- The Chosen -- for Book Club in a week and a half. I watched a lot of online TV. And I rested. Finally.

Now for the fun, not-so-everyday stuff:

On Saturday morning, Eric's cousin Paul and his wife Rachel came to visit. This was my first time to meet Rachel. I like her! We had a really yummy breakfast prepared by Stan (with no onions -- awwww....), and enjoyed chatting and catching up.
Then, Saturday afternoon, Eric, Ryan, and I met up with their best friend from childhood, Steve, and his wife and group of friends.
Steve is on the left, and Ryan is in the middle.
We rented a boat and a tube and had a blast! I had never done this before (hmm...maybe once?), so Steve took it easy on me. I held on for a long time and yelled for him to stop before I fell off. Next time, I'll have to be more adventurous.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Needless to say, I couldn't lift my arms at ALL for the next three days. I really paid for all of that fun. :) But it was totally worth it!

Here's Eric with his beloved rhubarb. He loves it! His dad has quite the green thumb, but he's tried to kill off this rhubarb. It keeps coming back, just for this guy:
Lois and I got to have some fun this week together. We went swimming at one of the local pools (not quite warm enough for this Texan), but I forgot to snap a picture. We also went to Illinois' second largest library, where I got to read to a frog:
Also, Lois treated me to a mani/pedi for my anniversary since I treated her to her very first mani/pedi experience last year for her anniversary. Again...I forgot to snap a pic.

We kind of laid low the rest of the week until last night, when we went out with Steve and Kim, an Steve's parents, Connie and Frank (who just returned from a month-long trip to Europe!).
Pinstripes is an up-scale bowling and bocce ball place in a ritzy area of the suburbs. However, on Sun-Thurs nights from 9-11pm, they have $1 bowling/bocce per game per person! So, we totally cashed in on that.
Frank, who is 71, won the bowling game with over 130 points! Oh, and I didn't post a pic of this, but instead of just having plastic turning chairs, they had couches! Also, waiters would come take your order -- and I'm not talkin' nachos and hot dogs. Here's what we had for dessert:
Lemon Creme Brulee!

Here I am playing Bocce Ball, Laura-style:
Watch out, everyone! Unfortunately, I was pretty awful at Bocce Ball. Lois, on the other hand, was fantastic! She won every single point.
And was pretty excited about it. :)
Afterwards, we drove around with Steve and Kim...and I found my favorite store...that I've never been in...LLBean. I mean, wow. Kayaks were everywhere. And now, I've decided that I need a hot pink kayak.
Next stop: Peoria, IL for Eric's Grandma's 90th birthday party!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Love rhubarb! maybe I'll try it in my garden next year ... unless you want to bring me a few stalks back.... =)

The Brackeens said...

I LOVE creme brulee...and I wish for a day on the lake. So fun! Race you back home!!!