For awhile now, I've been wanting to make my own laundry detergent. I first heard about this on the Grocery Cart Challenge blog (link in sidebar). Recently, several of my friends have talked about how they make their own, too! Yay for being penny-pinching. :)
Step 1: Purchase Washing Soda and Borax.
Step 2: Purchase a 5 gallon bucket. Sorry about the non-rotation of these pics...
Step 4: Dissolve the soap in 12 cups of hot water.
Step 5: Add one cup of Borax and one cup of Washing Soda. Dissolve.
Step 6: Meanwhile, have Eric add 8 cups hot tap water to the bucket.
Step 7: Add the soap mixture to the bucket.
Step 8: Add 44 cups more water and stir, stir, stir! Have Eric count his 4 cup portions with a fun voice. It makes the experience a whole lot more entertaining.
Step 9: Wait 12-24 hours so the detergent can "gel" up. It will be kind of gelly and kind of liquidy. This is normal. Use a regular sized laundry scoop to add this to the wash.
I'll let you know how this goes for us! Anyone else do this that I haven't heard from?
2 comments:
This is cool and I kind of want to try it when our current detergent is out!
I use fels naptha bar soap, grated or put throuh blender. Then add the borax and washing soda. Use it as a powder in your washer. 1 tbsp per normal load.
Post a Comment