Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lows and Highs

Low #1: Earlier this week, I called the home of one of my students who has been absent for about two weeks now. Basically, the story boils down to this: the possessed aunt took the mom to see my student's grandpa in prison. When they returned from the trip, the mom was "changed," the pictures were ripped up around the house because they were "possessed," and the mom took the kids and left with her sister (the aunt). They still haven't returned, and the step-dad has no idea where they are.

Low #2: A student said, "Mrs. Daulton, if YOU're the teacher, why don't YOU get us the supplies to decorate our fairy tale books."

Low #3: Today, when I told a student that part of my job is to get him to do his work, he retorted, "Is that what they pay you for?"

BUT, there are a couple good stories, too...

High #1: A student who came from a VERY abusive and rough childhood, whose mom is on baby #4 with step-dad who has had 5 kids with 4 different women, was just inducted into the National Junior Honor Society tonight and is in all honors classes. She's amazing. She and a friend also made little paper flowers for EVERY teacher during Teacher Appreciation Week and delivered them with mini cupcakes.

High #2: A student I had last year who was still in support classes for ESL, is in pre-AP classes this year and AVID (a class that really prepares our "middle" kids for college) AND was also inducted into NJHS tonight. Seeing her walk across the stage made me choke up a little. I caught up with her afterwards, and her parents didn't even come. Her little brother was there, though, so I told him to brag on his sister once they got home.

High #3: I kind of took over the faculty meeting yesterday to sing them a song I wrote for school. I love making a fool of myself in the interest of education. I think it keeps us all a bit more laid back. It definitely helps me not take myself so seriously. My students LOVE the songs, too. Check out the video... sorry the music is a bit off... and it's not finished yet.

Anyway, it's been kind of a roller coaster week for me. But there are only three weeks left until I can catch up on all this missed sleep. :)

Blessings!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

i bet you are such a light in their life!

Laura said...

You taking over the faculty meeting was a high of my week too =) It was awesome and I cant wait to see the full video!!!

Jessica said...

I wish you had been MY middle school teacher. You would have been my favorite! :)