Although it wore me out, I have been outdoors for the past 4 days. Friday, our school had the annual Vivian Field Softball Tournament and I helped coach an 8th grade team with Amy (my carpool buddy). We had a blast, but had to cut things short because of the storm. The clouds kept us from getting too hot, so the day was actually perfect, but we had to herd the students inside at about 2:00 and the thunderstorm hit around 2:15 -- whew! We didn't get to finish the tournament. Team Edwards/Rich made it to the playoffs (just barely...because we played by the rules...), though!DIGRESSION:

Our Singles' Retreat was this weekend (again, I hate referring to our class in regard to relationship status, or lack thereof...). Our theme was "What's Your Story?" and Robert Stolte from church led the discussion. One main point of the weekend was on the last day when we discussed one of the models of the levels of spirituality. Most of us still equate works and involvement in church as our greatest duty. We kind of hit a wall as a Christian when we reach that level. When something major happens in our life and we cannot find a way to continue in those ministries, we find ourselves questioning God and our faith. Many times this is viewed as a bad thing. Others are concerned with those at this level falling away and never coming back. I think that it is necessary. There is a time in our lives where we need to question what we grew up being taught and truly make our faith our own. It's tough, but necessary. After this level, we journey to a deeper relationship with Jesus and our works are more genuine. Those in this level seem to not want recognition for works. Their relationship with Jesus floods every aspect of their lives.
Many times, I find myself so busy with things that I sometimes think I'm stuck in level 3 (the works/involvment/ministry level). I like level 3 because I have control. I'm scared of the next level because I have to not rely on myself and my schedule anymore. I long for the higher levels and the closeness to God, but it seems that to get there, I have to just let go (which is very unlike me) and rely on faith.
Moving on... being outside...After the sessions at the retreat, I spent all of my time outside. I know I should have taken a nap, but when I'm that close to a river - to nature - I can't help but enjoy it! We did all sorts of things, including skipping rocks, walking in the Brazos, playing frisbee in the Brazos, hiking around, playing soccer, basketball, volleyball, more frisbee, etc... needless to say, I was a bit exhausted.
Monday was no respite from the exhaustion because I had to teach a Habitat Study at our district's Outdoor Learning Center. We were finished before 6th period, so I still had to come back (all gross) and teach the last two periods of the day.
I enjoy so much being outside (especially since I have no windows in my classroom -- I know). I'm really looking forward to summertime activities. Any ideas for the afternoons of summer school?
4 comments:
Looks like y'all had a blast on the retreat!
I think this summer you should plan to have lunch with your friends who don't have the day off. I know lots of yummy places near SWA! Come on up!
HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING THE PLAYOFFS?!?!?!?!?
I totally agree with your statement about the name "Singles Ministry". Seems like a misnomer considering the location. Glad yall had a good time on the retreat!
I KNOW, MATT!!! I'll have to chat with you sometime about our spurs, but we'll see after tonight. Yay!
Post a Comment