I'm posting this from school. My kids have just taken another practice TAKS test. They have all finished about an hour and a half before time is up. They have all assured me, individually, that they have double-checked their work and it is perfect. They may do one of two things: read or sleep. I already had to wake up a snorer.
So, my dilemma is this: They are utterly bored. They don't want to read because that would mean exercising their alreay tired little brains. Some are taking advantage of this naptime, but many are trying to non-verbally communicate across the room. My "look" has squelched this temporarily, but it may not work for long. I'm not allowed to give them color pages or crossword puzzles to work because we have to treat this "like the real thing." They have an hour and a half left of this nonsense.
So, I ask, what is one to do in this predicament? I kind of like letting them suffer a bit while I check up on blogs, get some work done, and prepare for the next couple weeks. I guess my real question is, what would you do if you were bored out of your mind? Keep in mind that the only things "allowed" are reading or sleeping. Any way to escape all this?
6 comments:
torture them!!! lol jjk. i really dont know what to do.
play silent charades. (HI! I found your blog!)
I am writing you after the second day of testing (8th grade had 2 test days.) I was displaced (but they went ahead and used my room as a testing room) and I had no internet connection whatsoever. I had no phone list for the phone. I had a student that was about to receive a slap in the face if I did not get him out of my presence ASAP. Fortunately, I saw the councelor pass by and I got him out of there. I've rarely been this annoyed. I do not wan to see my first period for a very long time.
I would draw some stuff. I use to draw whole cities and things like that. Pretty cool. That or think of the girl I didnt have the guts to ask out, but that was a different time, my friends!!
I did have some kids play silent charades across the room...kind of distracting... Brooke, I'm so sorry about your day. I came to see you during 2nd and noticed your room was being used...plus, I forgot you taught 8th grade (no excuse for that!). zach, sorry, but drawing is not allowed... unless, I guess you kept your test packet and were still "double checking."
An actual excuse to read whatever you want during class time. Is there really any choice? Bring on the books!
Post a Comment