Sunday, November 27, 2005

Turkey Day


Well, my week off has come and gone! Thanksgiving was wonderful this year. I drove to Abilene Tuesday night to help my cousins with the preparations. Dana's parents came Tuesday night also and we played a mean game of 42 that night after dinner. Aunt Joyce and I were on a team against Dana and Uncle Charles. I had a perfect first hand (I'm telling you, 5 of one suit and two doubles!) and I was the second to bid. I bid 2 marks, but Aunt Joyce, my PARTNER, outbid me...3 marks. Luckily, we pulled it off (even though I was a bit upset...I really wanted it!). So we play 3 games of 7 hands each. Aunt Joyce and I won the first round, Uncle Charles and Dana won the second round, and we were tied with "AL" on the third round. I drew my dominoes... 4-4, 4-6, 4-5, 4-1, 3-3, 2-2, 1-1...another perfect hand (let me just say that this NEVER happens, especially to me!). Unfortunately, I was the first to bid. I tried the 2 marks thing again. Dana passed, Aunt Joyce passed, and Uncle Charles...decided to raise my bid to 3 marks! He bid in 2s and I knew I had it (the double). So, even if I didn't get to play my hand, I did get to catch one of Uncle Charles' first tricks to set their team and win the game! Hooray!

Wednesday rolls around and I helped Dana and Aunt Joyce prepare the feast. We ordered our turkeys from Betty Rose's in Abilene, and the Williamses brought the ham. I was in charge of mixing together the "company potatoes" while Dana and Aunt Joyce put together the dressing, pink and orange salads, and other things. When we finished, Uncle Charles spent the next 4 hours slicing the meat. What a trooper!

On Thursday, the fun began. My family drove up from Kerrville and the other 40-some-odd folks from our Sheerer lineage all showed up at University Church of Christ's Fellowship Hall for dinner. Our reunions have expanded so much that normal houses are a bit cramped for all of us. At the church, we were able to all eat in the same room (!), and then spread out to either play games, watch the Cowboys, play on the playground, etc. We also had enough room for everyone to participate in our men vs. women game of Trivial Pursuit. The men earned each slice of pie before the women earned even two! However, for some reason, they couldn't land in the middle of the board. This bought us ladies some time and we caught up, but it wasn't enough to beat them. They ended up winning. We're good sports, though...


After lunch, we played our first annual game of Sheerer family Ultimate Frisbee. My family doesn't exactly "sport" and we've never had a game of football after the feast. We have been known to play knock-out basketball, but not as many folks can participate. I believe Ultimate Frisbee will become a tradition, even though we all agreed that we probably need to work out at least a little before Thanksgiving next year... It wore us out!

Here are some more pictures that I wanted to add. I never realized how many blondes are in my extended family. We all had similar lengths of hair, so we had to capture the moment ----------------------------------->

Every year, we have to take family pictures. This year, we took a Rich family picture and a Sheerer cousins picture.
To see the extra pictures, click here. I am so thankful for my family and for our crazy traditions.

7 comments:

Brantly said...

Hey laura!
sounds like you had fun on turkey day! my family and i ate at a friends house. i invited jonothan (mcmichael) to see harry potter 4 on saturday ( that was my third time to c it!) and when he told me u were in town for thanksgiving i was not happy that i didnt get 2 c u. maybe next time. well, i guess i will c u soon!
-brantly

Kelly Vaughn said...

Laura,
Oh how jealous we are! Your family's Thanksgiving sounds incredible...it's an incredible testimony to the heritage of faith in your family. It's so good to catch up with you...do you know the Goode family at Prestoncrest? Jim and Vicki?? They are Kelly's uncle and aunt...I believe they are still at Prestoncrest.
-Randy

Kelly Vaughn said...

I meant that we are jealous that we can't be with our family (living here in Africa, you know)...after I re-read my comment, it sounded like we were jealous to have a family like yours! Yikes, that could get a guy in trouble! The tradition sounds like so much fun!
-RV

Malaysian Debster said...

Yea, it's about time I got to your blog! Anyway, glad you had a blast in Abilene for Thanksgiving, as we did ourselves, also in Abilene. :) I can't imagine how huge your entire family is!

Brooke said...

You and your ?cousins? look so much alike! Wow!

Katie said...

man thanksgiving was fun! i like how you added ultimate frisbee to your instrests. i can't wait to see you at the wedding!

Ashley said...

I love your family picts too. Some of those people are some of my favorite on the planet! Cute picts. I am glad you are doing well. Only 3 weeks until Christmas break! I am going to add your blog to one of my favorites!