Thursday, April 08, 2010

6th grade poetry

I never post about my students, but I am just so proud of them right now, I can't help it! They were to write formula poems. These are kind of like Mad Libs, where you just fill in the blank with an adjective, verb, prepositional phrase, simile, etc. Some of them really opened up. I'll leave the names blank for privacy purposes.

From a student who was adopted this year:

I am changing, changing
I feel like the night sky
I am calm and happy
I dance and play
I am crystal clear
The color of quartz
I am small and short
I look at the world with different eyes as I help, recycle, and save natural resources
It is victorious to move like this
So happy like a night sky
I am [name]
From a girl:
I am changing, changing.
I feel sunny.
I am hopeful and joyful.
I understand and work hard.
I am bright yellow
The color of a highlighter.
I am tall and strong and beyond what anyone thinks.
I look at the world with different eyes as I speed through the storms and dig for new things,
as time speeds I learn more.
It is comfortable to move like this
So peaceful like a calm wind.
I am [name].
From a super-quiet boy whose primary language is not English. He is also in my largest class:
I am changing, changing.
I am happy and quiet.
I study and play.
I am blue
the color of the sky and water.
I am short and skinny
and am quiet all day.
I look at the world with different eyes as I get good grades, hope to pass TAKS, and don't go to summer school.
It is hard to move like this
So quiet like the only one in a room.
I am [name].
From a very tall and big 6th grade boy in that same class:
I am changing, changing.
I feel like a hurricane -- stormy on the outside but calm on the inside.
I am shallow and stepep (???)
I play football and like hanging out with my friends.
I look at the world with different eyes as I am too small, too weak, and too quiet.
It is difficult for me to move as I am so small.
So I hide from the world in another body.
I am [name].
I also had some darker ones of students who were really struggling, but I won't share those. I am so proud of my students. They really worked hard on this assignment. I can't wait to do more poetry with them after TAKS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are brilliant. thanks for sharing them!
jenny

stephruns said...

wow! thanks so much for sharing!

Mad Rappin EW said...

I liked the words to those poems. Almost as much as good as the words to the songs I sing for you :-)