Sunday, November 26, 2006

European Retreat

This past week, I had the wonderful opportunity to teach missionary and military kids in Berchtesgaden, Germany at the 43rd Annual Euro-American Retreat. Tamara Brantley and I taught the younger elementary kids (all 6 of them), Anne McCrary had the 4-5 year olds, and Linda McCrary had the older elementary kids. We had a blast with them!

Each day, we had the kids for about 3 1/2 hours while their parents were enjoying the retreat. Our lessons focused on the central theme of "God Wants us to Get Along With Each Other." We connected Bible stories and children's books to the theme. We had times of arts and crafts and playtime/exercise time as well. These kids were amazing -- they were so sweet and had such loving hearts.

Each afternoon, we were able to go sightseeing. Tamara and I went with a group to the Salt Mines in Berchtesgaden one day. The picture to the left is of our oh-so-flattering salt mining outfits! After we got dressed in the appropriate attire, we took a train through a tiny tunnel (claustrophobes, beware!) to a large mining room. We slid down a huge slide (so fun!), then took a boat across salt water and learned more about the history and process of mining salt.

Another day, we went shopping around Berchtesgaden. I'm happy to say that all of my Christmas shopping is now finished! It seems crazy finishing before Thanksgiving even happens, but it can be done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! great to see the pix so soon! I can't wait to see the rest of the photos and talk with you about your trip.
Glad you are home safely.
Love you,
Momma

Mad Rappin EW said...

I must admit... you have mad hops.